Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Huffington Post and Guest Speaker

Yvette Walker came to talk to our blogging class. I mean, it was ages ago but her words have stayed with me, especially the quote from Mark Ambinder about journalism, blogging, and ego. I hope that her optimism about blogging in conjunction with regular news isn't misplaced. Professional news people keeping blogs apart from the actual news product could be a good thing, it could also be a disaster. Surely, time will tell us if a balance can be found.

Ms. Walker also talked briefly about AOL's acquisition of The Huffington Post. This is a big story mostly due to the exorbitant sum AOL paid. It makes me wonder about what the news media is coming to. As if I wasn't already. Maybe blogging is the new wave. It is certainly a viable occupation for those who can do it well enough. The question is whether or not this is good for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment