Sunday, January 23, 2011

Dr. Clark's links

A celebrity gossip blog without snark? Whats the point of that?  It's the American tradition to cut people down to size because they've brought so much joy into our lives. Yet this Jared Eng character works long hours reporting on the most piddling activities of the most piddling celebrities. I usually try to ignore stories like this but being forced to read this and confront the reality of human shallowness is just wrecking my brain. I completely understand why Dr. Clark would want us to see this. I get it. But this is not for me. Moving on.

I have never really been into social networks. I don't use any of them. The available information about me is (I hope) very limited. The only times my true name appears online is when schlubs donate to charities in my name as a Christmas gift, when I get mentioned in a newspaper or when distant relatives fill out family trees on geneology.com or other such sites. So the idea of specialized social networks still doesn't quite appeal to me but it is getting closer.

So Dubus is a great writer. These two pages are so well written that after having just finished reading them I can't determine whether the all the little feelings that the story stirred inside me are from my own memories of childhood or just the work of a writer who knows exactly what he is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment